MedicineLogo

H4H

       

Homeopathy 4 Health

The alternative medical modality of holistic, natural,

safe, individualised, side-effect-free and affordable health care

Hermes once separated two serpents entwined in mortal combat to bring about peace. These serpents were later included in the medical Caduceus as a sign of wellbeing.


HomeButton

History&BasicsButton

HomeopathicButton

WorldwideButton

YourBenefitsButton

YourConsultationButton

Testimonials&ResearchButton

Criticisms&RepliesButton

News&ViewsButton

H4HMonographsButton

F.A.Q.Button

LinksButton

SiteMapButton

WhoIAmButton

CodeofEthicsButton

AcknowledgementsButton

ContactButton

ReeButton.comButton

site stats

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

You are viewing: Who I Am - Links - Level 2
returnButton
to Who I Am - Level 1

Cork City
Places of Interest

The English Market.
The English Market

Scroll right for side bar picture  >>>>>>>>>

Just off Grand Parade you'll discover the Victorian English Market which is still used to this day It is a covered market for fish, fruit, meat and vegetable. The origins of the market can be traced back to James 1st  in 1610, but the present building dates from 1786. In 1980 it was destroyed by fire and was refurbished by Cork Corporation to an award-winning design by the Cork city architect T. F. MacNamara,
Maybe some of the best grocery shopping you can find in the city. Foods from all over the world as well as traditional Cork foods can be purchased. Have alook particularly at the fresh fish, meat breads, organic fruit and vegetables. You'll also find hot buttered eggs, cheese, olives, crubeens (pigs' feet), and the Cork favourite Tripe & Drisheen

Feast your eyes on the iron latticework of the construction, the galleries and fountains. The main entrance opens onto Princess Street part of a rabbit warren of small lanes and smaller shops, restaurants and pubs.

Roche's Point Lighthouse
Roche's Point Lighthouse

Scroll right for side bar picture  >>>>>>>>>

Roches Point is situated at the entrance of Cork harbour. The cottages beside the lighthouse were formerly coastguard  cottages and the tower (to the left in the above view) is one of the original look out towers which predate the lighthouse. It was here the Titanic lay at anchor during a brief stay over to pick up passengers from Queenstown (Cobh).

In April 1937, Roches Point became one of the four telegraphic stations taken over by Met ireann and full synoptic equipment was intalled in 1940 housing such instruments as the mercury barometer, Campbell-Stokes sunshine recorder, dines pressure tube anemometer etc. In 1991 a Vaisala Cup Anemometer was installed at which time it was converted it to fully automateicstatus.

temperature extremes recorded at Roches Point Met Station:
Highest Air Temperature 28.0 degrees Celsius on 3 August 1995
Lowest Air Temperature -7.2 degrees Celsius on 13 January 1987
Maximum Daily sunshine 15.8 hours in 13 June 1988

St Finn Barre's Cathedral
St Fin Barre's Cathedral

Scroll right for side bar picture  >>>>>>>>>

Christian worship has been offered on the site of the present Cathedral since the seventh century.

Legend has it that St. Fin Barre was the son of Amergin, whose tribe was descended from Eochaidh Muidmheadoin, brother of the king of Munster. Amergin settled in the territory of Muskerry, in the county of Cork, where he obtained an inheritance and land at a place called Achaidh Durbchon, near the spot afterwards known as Gougane Barra, at the sources of the river Lee. He was chief smith to Tighernach, king of the Hy Eachach of Munster, and he married a young woman of the kings household. As this was in defiance of the kings wishes, the couple was summoned before him and he sentenced them to be burned alive. A storm of thunder and lightning, with heavy rain, prevented the decree from being carried out. This was regarded as a divine interposition and they were set free.

A child was born from this union and they returned to Gougane Barra, where the boy was baptised Luan, or Lochan. When he was seven years old three clerics of Munster, returning from a pilgrimage to Leinster, happened to stop at the house of Amergin. They admired the boy for the grace of the Holy Spirit that seemed to them to shine in his face, and were allowed by his parents to take him away to be educated. He studied at a place called Sliabh Muinchill, where, as was usual at the time, he was tonsured and had his name changed. The cleric who cut his hair is said to have observed, Fair (finn) is the hair (barra) of Luan. "Let this be his name, said another, Barr Finn, or Finn Barr.


Elizabeth Fort
Elizabeth Fort

Scroll right for side bar picture  >>>>>>>>>

Elizabeth Fort is a 17th century star-shaped fort in the heart of Cork City located on Barrack St.  Originally built as a defensive fortification outside the city walls, in 1719 it was used as army barracks. 
Elizabeth Fort was constructed on a limestone outcrop overlooking the medieval walled city in 1601 by Sir George Carew, the then president of Munster during the reign of Elizabeth I. It was used as an army base for the protection of the city.

The fort was demolished by the citizens of Cork in 1603 but they were compelled to rebuild it at their own expense. It was replaced in 1624 by a stronger fort which had the same basic outline as that which survives today. It is reputed that improvements were also made by Cromwell 1649. It was used in 1690 by Williamite forces besieging the city and a cannonball fired from the Fort at the old tower of St. Fin Barres was found during the 19th century rebuilding by Burges and can b eseen hanging in the new Cathedral.
The fort is entered from Fort St through the east wall which has an arched opening with a square limestone surround. The east walls limestone ramparts and corner bastions survive much as they were built in the early 17th century.

During the War of Independence, Elizabeth Fort was used as a base by the Black & Tans but was deserted by the British following the Anglo-Irish Treaty. During the Irish Civil War the fort was burned by anti-treaty forces in August of 1922.  Elizabeth Fort has since been restored by the Office of Public Works. 

Elizabeth Fort is also home to an active An Garda Siochana station.  In the summer, Elizabeth Fort hosts Irish craft & food markets & historical renactment and is home to 7UP Christmas On Ice in the winter. 

The ramparts of Elizabeth Fort boast some of the best views in Cork City and now, Cork Citys first ice skating rink!  Join us at Elizabeth Fort for festive fun this winter.

St Colman's Cathedral
St. Colman's cathedral

Scroll right for side bar picture  >>>>>>>>>

"It is in good truth a monument not of generous wealth but of devoted poverty: the gift not of an individual but of a race, out of money won laboriously by the Catholic Irish at home and in the far ends of the world." C.E Brett

Begun in 1867 and completed in 1919, the Cathedral was one of Edward W. Pugin and George Ashlin's most important Irish commission. It is one of the finest examples of ecclesiastical archictecture in the Gothic Revival style in Ireland. It was built at a time when leading architects had absorbed the principles of pointed architecture laid down by A.W.N. Pugin (1812-1852), the father of E.W. Pugin and father-in-law of George Ashlin.

St. Colman's, named after the patron saint of the diocese St. Colman Mac Leinin, was inspired by the great cathedrals of medieval France such as Chartres, Laon and Amiens. Its unique interior is a pure and harmonious example of what a neo-Gothic cathedral should be. The Bath stone cladding of the walls permits an "extraordinary wealth of figurative sculpture (recalling Rheims Cathedral) so that altars merge into an overall decorative scheme, perceived like apparitions through dimly lit vistas". St. Colman's Cathedral is the only Irish Catholic Victorian cathedral to preserve its interior fully intact

 

Fellow of the
British Institute of Homeopaths

Certificate oif Fellow of the BIH
FBIH Certificate
signed by
William Tankard-Hahnemann
Patron

Fellowship medallion
Fellowship Medallion

Fellowship letter of appointment CLICK TO ENLARGE
FBIH Appointment Letter
with Citation
(click to enlarge)

TopButton

 

 

 

 


  English Market

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Roche's Point Lighthouse

 

 

 

 

 

 


St Fin Barre's Cathedral

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Elizabeth Fort

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

St Colman's Cathedral

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Home | History & Basis | Homeopathics | Worldwide | Your Benefits | Your Consultation | Testimonials & Research |
Criticisms & Replies | News & Views | H4H Monographs | F.A.Q. | Links | Site Map | Who I Am | Code of Ethics | Acknowledgements | Contact